Monday, August 25, 2008

I am a Pencil

I am a pencil. Lying on the table, dormant, I am an inanimate object. I have no value when I am motionless. It is only when I am picked up to be used by the hand of God that my potential and purpose is revealed. As He directs my motions, together we find that I can be dull, and often times I don’t get the point. That’s when the tribulations come…when God sharpens me. I am turned round and round while He cuts away the characteristics in me that have no value. In fact, until the very heart of me is revealed, I cannot leave my intended mark on the world. This process, the cutting away of the useless portion of my life, is not used to punish me, as others may think, but to bring me to my fullest potential. The innermost parts of me are lead- lead by the Holy Spirit in a desire to do more than lay around on a table. And if I struggle while I am in the hand of God, He alone reserves the right to turn my life upside down, to erase and eradicate the marks of my disobedience. As we write more and more, God and I, He keeps sharpening me, and keeps refreshing the point of my life.

Though he slay me, yet will I trust Him! – Job 13:15a
How blessed I am to be a pencil today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Great analogy and so true! I love a pencil and a blank sheet of paper - so many possibilities! Love you!